A Pilots Life For Me

I try to keep the plane in the air as long as can but sometimes it just doesn't work.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Hello!

It has been awhile since I have posted anything, anything at all. As soon as I get some pictures back from my Fall Retreat with Intervarsity, I will post a small piece about that adventure.

My life has taken on a rather interesting pace. Tomorrow I am going to drop one of my classes, my only M, W, F class to be precise. That means I will only have class on T and TR. Has everyone figured out the the whole abbreviation system for weekdays? Good. Anyways this means that I have extra time for work, flight and study.

Have I ever told you how much I like flying! If you ever get a chance to fly at night, on a clear, clear night with a half moon, then go for it. Their is nothing as beautiful or exhilarating as a VFR night flight! Millions of tiny little diamonds dancing before your eyes. When you look down you can see the ground stretching endlessly in all directions, melting seamlessly with the deep purple sky. The dim lights of distant towns shining with small town warmth. But you know, you feel all warm and cozy up their in that plane, you feel at home, the heater going, the gentle vibrations of the engine and propeller rocking you in its arms. The little lights below the instruments putting off a soft glow so as to not ruin your night vision.

You slowly scan the instruments now and again to make sure everything is going smoothly; airspeed good, one hundred knots, altitude just fine steady at thirty-five hundred, engine instruments golden and in the green, everythings A okay. Your eyes quickly complete this scan barely even realizing you're doing it; something you've done a million times. Outside the world is moving by at slow pace but just fast enough to soak it all in. Occasionally off in the distance you see a red light or green light blinking, a fellow pilot out for a midnight stroll. I wonder sometimes if they enjoy it as much as I do?

If you fly high enough you can tune to the local frequency and hit the talk button 7 times and watch all the the airports insight light up like Christmas trees. Almost all airports have lighting systems, with blues, reds, greens and whites; they really do look like Christmas trees. One of these days I will take my friends up flying so they can learn to love what I love.

Flying is great when you don't have to do stage checks and all that crazy school jazz. It is still fun but not in the same care free way. I am off so all of you have great day, week and month.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:51 PM, October 27, 2005, Blogger linnea said…

    Benjamin, I like these thoughts on your love for pilotry ( I guess Aviation is a better word. . .)It makes me excited to see how much you love what you do! I'm so glad you enjoy it!
    I hope you have a good day too, so rock out man.

    p.s. I miss you
    p.s. you are great

     

Post a Comment

<< Home