A Pilots Life For Me

I try to keep the plane in the air as long as can but sometimes it just doesn't work.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Winter Blues and Diamond Drops

The season is upon us here in North Dakota. We have been waiting, knowing that it would inevitably come. Winter is finally upon us after a month and a half of Fall; a record from our normal week of Fall. Every year at the end of summer when the temperatures begin to wane and the first frost settles on the trees, our Fall has come. At the end of the week all the leaves have turned there various colored shades and they have begun to shed there summer plumage, for cold naked forms standing bear in the cold North Dakota wind. Like old men weathered by years at sea these familiar forms stand stoically out my window, the old fir tree alone still bears it's evergreen cloak.

I have been very thankful for the warm weather that has stayed above thirty two degrees and I know many others are to. It is a rare occasion when one is able to walk outside in a light jacket or sweater and still be warm in mid November. We have been fortunate to be blessed with such fine weather, but now our winter has returned like a faithful friend from a short journey. We have seen her to often to not be fond of her. As I watch new students trek to school, buried deep beneath there coats, gloves and thick hats, I can't help but remember my first winter here. It's funny how they complain and bundle up so on a mild winter night. When I come in from the cold, stomping my feet outside the door before I enter my house, I can't help but smile, letting the warmth of the house steal over me; but more is effected, I feel it spread over my heart and soul making them glow with inner happiness.

A tear comes to my eye even as I write. There is so much joy to be found in God's creation, in the natural beauty of nature and in the beauty of our friendships and the people we love. When the two come together how can we, simple people of North Dakota complain when we have been blessed with hearth, home and family. Little snow drops have been falling all day, each one looking like a little shiny diamond. How highly do we value diamonds, but how much more precious are the loved ones that God puts in our lives. How much more should we value them and prize them above anything else and treasure them as gifts from God. When I see a snow diamond I don't see a bit of frozen water I see someone that I love. All day little bits of heaven have been falling, reminding me of all those I care about wherever they might be. So please remember those you love this holiday season and don't forget to tell them how much they mean to you. Have a wonderful holiday season and I hope with all my heart that God will bless you, as you share with all the people you love this winter season.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:25 AM, November 16, 2005, Blogger linnea said…

    I really like these thoughts of yours about winter, Ben. It made me smile.

     
  • At 12:28 PM, November 18, 2005, Blogger linnea said…

    My favorite book as a kid (and I love it still) was 'White Snow, Bright Snow'. Man, I loved that book so much! It was especially exciting to me because living in Mississippi, I didn't even know what snow looked like. I'm so glad it snows some in Maryland. Who knows, maybe this year we Salisburians (Salisburites? Saliburs?) will have a white christmas!
    Salisbury is a word that seems like it should have a white christmas. The BURY part does at least.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home